- OH MAMA! BIRTH & BABY FAIR - TO BENEFIT MIDWIVES FOR HAITI - MAY 8, 2010
More information click here
- Congo/Women: Portraits of War - April 8-30, 2010 at the Virginia Holocaust Museum
More Information click here
- NORMA CRUZ — "STOP FEMICIDE NOW" SPEAKER'S EVENT AT VCU
MARCH 2 @ 1:00 Click here for FLIER & more information
- DHHS NATIONAL WOMEN'S HEALTH WEEK - OFFICE ON WOMEN'S HEALTH - May 9 - 15, 2010 for more information click here
- HOW TO TREAT A WOMAN SERIES" EMOTIONS & YOUR HEALTH" with DR. MARK COOPER APRIL 14, 2010 @ NOON - Information flyer click here
Celebrating Women's Health: Our Bodies, Ourselves
View Judy Norsigian's PowerPoint Presentation from her lecture from September 25, 2009
Founded in 1969 after a group of Boston-based women met at a local women’s conference, the Boston Women’s Health Book Collective (also known as Our Bodies Ourselves) wrote the first edition of the landmark book, Our Bodies, Ourselves, in 1970. The eighth edition (2005) as well as other publications and online resources by this nonprofit organization continue the tradition of providing accurate noncommercial information about women's health and sexuality.
For more information on Our Bodies OurSelves visit their website at: www.ourbodiesourselves.org
The VCU Institute of Women's Health invites you to join us at the Science Museum of Virginia for an afternoon of Celebrating Women's Health: Our Bodies, Ourselves on Friday, September 25, 2009 from 1:00 to 4:30 pm.
Highlighting the event will be the internationally known women’s health activist and writer Judy Norsigian, co-founder and executive director of Our Bodies Ourselves. Norsigian will speak from her more than 40 years of experience advocating and inspiring women to take charge of their own health by providing accessible, research-based information about women’s health and sexuality.
She will also focus on the organization’s newest quest to address the questions and needs of women during pregnancy, childbirth and the “fourth trimester” of early motherhood. Her newest book, Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth, dispels many common misconceptions about maternity care and provides women with the information they need to make wise decisions and approach birth with confidence.
A co-author of several books on women’s health, Norsigian has appeared on numerous national television and radio programs, including Oprah, the Today Show, Good Morning America and The Early Show. She served on the board of the National Women’s Health Network for 14 years and currently serves as a board member for Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research.
- The 40 year health movement that has shaped women’s health
- Perspectives on the emerging health issues that affect our lives
- An alternative to the pathology/disease approach to normal life events (birthing, menopause, aging, death)
- The ways that women, as informed health consumers, are catalysts for social change
- How to take care of yourself and take charge of your own health
- A lively and provocative presentation from the co-founder of the Boston Women’s Health Collective Books including: Our Bodies, Our Selves, Our Bodies Ourselves: Pregnancy & Birth, Our Bodies Ourselves: Menopause and The New Ourselves, Growing Older
- Health screenings
- A showcase of VCU’s premier women’s health services and resources
- A sample of current research posters in women’s health
- Book signing
- Light refreshments
Science Museum of Virginia
2500 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Friday, September 25, 2009 1:00 – 4:30 pm
For more information, contact Janett Forte at 827-1200 or email: email@example.com